Re: The Arabic Abbreviation Dictionary

On Saturday 19 May 2007 01:23:54 Djihed Afifi wrote:
> Where are you uys bringing the notion that abbreviations don't work in
> Arabic? are you just talking out of personal opinion or well done
> research?
>
> Those who had proper arabic education for maths, physics and other
> science know full well tthat arabic abbreviations do work very well.
> As is the case with other terms, they just need some time getting used
>  to, after that they will sound just natural.
>
> On 18/05/07, Laith Juwaidah <juwaidah1990 at gmail dot com> wrote:
> >
> > Why don't we just use the English Abbreviations? It's more common and
> > all people know them, we don't have to reinvent the wheel...
>
> Why don't we use English UI's for everything after all? they are more
> common and we don't have to reinvent the wheel, right?
>
> As for the "people know them" part, who knows them? do we have some
> arabic UI usability research? I am curious how you are asserting that
> all people "know" the english abbreviations.
>
> What about the arabic speakers whose second language is not English at all?
>
> Unfortunatly, It is often the case that some Arabic speakers, after
> having attained some acceptable level of English, they let themselves
> fall under the illusion that all Arabic speakers in the deep Arabic
> world have the same grasp of the English language.
>
> > Plus, I don't see anything wrong in using the English abbreviations...
>
> They are English, and we want an Arabic Desktop, that is what's wrong with
> them.
>
> > Oh, about your example, I'm one of the people who don't know what that
> > abbreviation means.
>
> So if you won't know the Arabic word and thus the abbreviation derived
> from it, you want to force all arabic speakers to use english
> abbreviations? Sorry, it sounds like it's you who should learn the
> arabic abbreviations.
>
> > I know you want the applications to be 100% Arabic but you just can't
> > do it,
>
> Why? while 100% is perfectionism, you can easily get very close to it
> with some discipline.
>
> > people are used to the English terms,
>
> *you*, not "people". Again, I'd like to see some hard facts about the
> level of English amongst the *general crowd*.
>
> > we can't just change all Arabs,
>
> Indeed, we can't make them all magically become masters of the English
> language and understand words they never saw, let alone their
> abbreviations.
>
> > if I could change anything in them I would choose something
> > else rather than change their view about this :P
>
> Sorry, you are under the same illusion and assume the same fallacy,
> I'd still like to see some hard facts about this, no anecdotes, some
> good research
>
> > Cheers,
> > Laith Juwaidah
>
> Thanks Laith. I'm sure I may have sounded harsh, it was not my
> intention, I'd like to see a good debate about this.  I'm geniunly
> interested in the topic and I would like us to research it very well,
> [...]

I did study these subjects in both English and Arabic, Arabic abbreviations
never sounded good, neither to me, nor to my friends.

There was a time that I was like you, interested in creating Arabic
abbreviations but then I realized that none will use them.

Let me ask you a question, would you really use these abbreviations when
talking with your friends? would you really ask your friend "كم ال ذ.د.ع.
تبعك؟"? would you really do?

Since we're talking about this, since ever, Arabs want an Arabic programming
language, I read about that all the time in forums, but I never see Dutch
people, for example, asking for a Dutch programming language.

Why do Arabs want to beat the west? Why don't they just join forces together?
for example, instead of creating an Arabic Perl, we can help developing the
English one.

That's all I got for the moment.

Cheers,
Laith Juwaidah