Re: Translation Projects, Syncing?

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:14:52 +0000, Youssef Chahibi <chahibi at gmail dot com> wrote:
> السلام عليكم،
>
> What do you mean by syncing ? This should applied only for projects that have
> been already 100 % translated which will have to be "synced" with their
> "motherships". In my opinion, 10 % of another project that hasn't been
> already fully translated should be translated per a month,  but this should
> be determined by the volunteers and the chief of the project
> خير الأعمال أقلها و أدومها

Actually, syncing should be made, ideally, even if the project is 0%
translated. The POs on the mother ship continously change. Sometimes
strings are added, sometimes they are removed. Imagine coming up to a
PO file in a project thats not fully translated, translating that
file, only to realize that file has been removed in the mothership!
All your work would be for naught :-)

Thats why its always a good idea to keep up with whatever is going on
with the project. Syncing is a mundane and difficult task, I know, but
thats why we have Nadim and his Perl scripts :-)

> Brother Abdulaziz, your idea is a good one, scheduling the projects and
> providing a clear and detailled road map would be a great thing for Arabeyes
> إن شاء الله.

It was not my idea. This was a Core ruling :-)

> I propose to give each 2 months a list of tasks and do a one week freeze where
> volunteers will choose a task to do ,was it hard or easy. It's a kind of
> contract with the community. What do you think ?

Not a bad idea actually. Unfortunately it cannot be applied as various
projects have different development cycles. 2 months might be too long
or too short. It is best in our situation to let each individual
project maintainer assign tasks in his/her own team.

Salam,

Abdulaziz,