Re: ActionApps POs

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 10:49:05PM -0800, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> --- Mohammed Sameer <msameer at foolab dot org> wrote:
> > I still think it's not required, If I'm a translator why am I supposed
> > to learn CVS ?
>
> Mohammed, you make it sound as though people are being asked to go get
> a PhD in Plate Tectonics.  We are talking about 4 commands that would
> have taken less time to comprehend than to read this entire thread.
>
>  + cvs login
>  + cvs checkout
>  + cvs update -dP
>  + cvs commit

Can you learn how to fix yur shoes ? Though it's a simple thing ? I guess not.
We are techies, We can easely learn "if we have free time" But for non technical people, You shouldn't force them to do so.

> > If you want me to use wincvs then provide a step-by-step guide on how to
> > use it on windows and on GNU/Linux.
>
> This was/is provided already -> http://www.arabeyes.org/docs.php

Maybe you are right, I'm still thinking that it's not required.

> > Imagine if all what I have is 2 hours per week, Am I going to spend them
> > learning CVS or translating ? Which is more important ?
>
> If it will take you 2 hours to learn 4 commands then you have bigger
> problems to deal with :-)

You don't judge my abilities. It might take me 6 hours to write 1 line of C. This doesn't mean that I'm stupid.
And again, You don't have the authority to judge my abilities or force me to learn anything.
I'm a volunteer, If I find a lot of things which I don't like and unable to correct, I'll simply quit.

> > And I said that I'm willing to -and I'll be very happy- if I can handle
> > the CVS things.
>
> What is being noted here is important since we are first and foremost
> advocates of the Open Source process - we are after all trying to get
> more people involved so that more people start _using_ linux.  Plenty
> of translators have come (and gone) that simply refused to use linux
> for instance (which kinda makes you wonder why they even want to translate
> for something they had no intention of using).  The point being made here
> is that if anyone intends to be a project leader (ie. responsible for it,
> upkeeper of it, etc) then he/she is expected to learn/do the bare minimums.
> Logging to the website to update a blurb every so often to keep everyone
> informed is also expected.  If there are agreements between people to 'cvs
> commit' things on other people's behalf that's between them (as discouraged
> as that is so that people really get involved).  Doing proxy commits is OK
> to help people out or to inspect their work prior to giving them CVS commit
> rights, but it should not really be normal operational procedure.

Bu this is a web application that doesn't require linux to be installed!
And we are not an advocacy agency AFAIK, So we are NOT asking people to use it. This is the job of LUGS and that's what we are doing at eglug.

Rai'da, Register a CVS account per nadim's request. Give me the username and passwords and I'll still do the commits on behalf of you, Sue everyone.

> Refusing to learn those 4 pesky commands seems counter-productive - it's
> like having someone wanting to volunteer to help out with the translation
> work but he/she refuses to use a computer, they insist on doing the
> translations on a piece of paper.  As silly as that might be some might
> actually accept it, but again are we really helping educate said person
> and/or propel our collective community forward if we opted to do that -
> I don't think so.

A translation on a piece of paper is welcomed.
You don't force volunteers to use whatever things you want, You make their life easy within limit. And IMHO we didn't bypass this limit here.

> For those uncomfortable about relinquishing their windows OS, look into
> installing cygwin (cygwin.com) it is _extremely_ easy to do and offers
> a very reasonable linux/unix experience.

The same FUD. No farther comments.

--
-- Katoob Main Developer, Arabbix Maintainer.