Re: ActionApps POs

Hello from Menia ;-)

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 10:59:37PM -0800, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> --- Rai'da Al-Zu3bi <raida_lists at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> > Don't you think that I could have saved much more
> > valuable time working on the translation rather than
> > having to work out how to convert PO files into PHPs,
> > download Linux, try to get it to work on my PII that
> > only has a wireless card, download CVS software and
> > try to understand how to work it? All this for a few
> > files to translate. Do you think that this is an
> > effective way to is to nurture technically
> > knowledgeable people and to help them learn new things
> > like FOSS?
>
> If we are to advocate FOSS it behooves us to actually be using
> that which we preach and point people towards.  In other words,
> you can't tell people or give them a presentation on how useful
> FOSS is using a proprietary OS (that would be rather hypocritical).
> The same type of idea applies here.  You should have taken your
> time to bring-up a comfortable enough linux/open-source environment
> for yourself before really starting to contribute (I'm not pointing
> fingers and/or correcting anything wrong, simply attempting to
> answer your points above).  Doing both (setup and contribute) at
> the same time is difficult and doesn't produce a nurturing learning
> environment.  I highly suggest you get your setup completed to where
> it is fully functional (and comfortable) before you proceed with
> contributions.

Advocating FLOSS IMHO should be done through 2 levels.
The 1st level is to get the people to use FLOSS on windows and/or any other proprietary OS.

After that when they become comfortable maybe they/we can think about switching to an opensource OS like GNU/Linux or whatever.

This is one thing.

The 2nd thing is that I'd never say no to any volunteer even if he's using the OS and tools produced by someone who did harm me personally!

That's totally another thing.

We are translating a web application, Which is NOT required to run under GNU/Linux IMHO. So whatever you are using for the translation shouldn't matter. Maybe refuse contribution from people using non FLOSS if you are translating a pure GNU/Linux application, This should make scence, But still it's stupid and I don't personally like it.

Rai'da, You are the project coordinator, You decide what's suitable or not. But stalling the project like that and letting people waste your time'll lead to nothing.

And at the end you'll be blamed for not completing it.

Now I'm stating 2 things:
1) I don't like the FUD in this thread.
2) Action apps'll be translated into Arabic, whether under the arabeyes umbrella or not.

Rai'da, If you decide to give up I won't give up, But In that case I'll complete this project myself without any help from arabeyes. And that shall be the end of it.

Best regards,

--
-- Katoob Main Developer, Arabbix Maintainer.