Re: Sais, again?

First, I would like to say that I will delay the final output to the end
of November. I am still open to suggestion and will still update the
wiki page, but I want more people to have a say in the final doc and the
priority these days is about elections, so I guess we need more time..

On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 06:14, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
[...]
> Sounds fine to me - I'd move away from the usage of the word 'stack'
> and maybe gravitate towards 'Apps-List' or similar.  The other comment
> I have is with regards to the mini example and kinda the reverse
> philosophy.  When standardizing on something its alot easier to say
> Gold is A,B,C and Silver is A,B instead of saying product-1 has A,F,H
> and product-2 has B,K yet they all are both Silver (that confuses
> potential developers into knowing clearly what it is they have to do
> to attain a certain level of certification).

It is simpler to require a list of apps, but we still need to give
flexibility to the distros. So we have to allow distros to use different
apps to get the same level. In particular, I would expect suse for
example to gain a good certification level through KDE apps, while
fedora may get that through GNOME apps. More Arabeyes relevant, we may
have Arabbix derivatives that opt for GNOME or KDE mini modules (not
both), or even opt for XFCE and small apps.

> In other words, it would be alot easier to say in order to satisfy
> a certain certification you need to have the following list of Arabic
> supported functions included (office suite, graphical mail tool,
> locales, arabic terminal emulator, etc).  This might be nit-picking,
> but I have a feeling that's what you want to hear.

I think this is a good idea. Probably I will omit the stack idea
altogether and state directly the supported functionalities needed.

Thanks a lot for the feedback.