Re: Plural-Forms header

--- Munzir Taha <munzirtaha at newhorizons dot com dot sa> wrote:
[...]
> > the header form of the plurlization policy Arabeyes has always
> used:
> >
> > 1: 1 and 0
> > 2: 2
> > 3: 3 <= n <= 10
> > 4: n > 10
>
> wrong in cases of 101, 102, ... Seems odd, eh? The war has begun ...
> ;)

Thats exactly what we're saying. Thats why we need a new one.

[...]
> How can just inserting a header in a text file change the file?! Do I
> need to
> insert this header in each .po?! I thought this header should be
> somewhere
> built into the sources (.cpp or .h files) of KDE, GNOME, debian
> installer, ... not in the .po files themselves, no?

Its magic ;)
Seriously, every language needs a specific header for it to handle the
plurals. You don't need to insert this header into every file. Just in
the files that have plural forms. It makes no sense to put these
headers in the source files, because you would have to insert one
header for EVERY language. Better to put it in a .po so it could be
language specific.

My proposal: six plural forms!

nplurals = 6; plural = n==0 ? 0 : n==1 ? 1 : n==2 ? 2 : n%100==1 ||
n%100 ? 3 : n%100>2 && n%100<=10 ? 4 : 5

Lets imagine we were talking about cats. Here is what you would put in
the translation file under each tab in kbabel:

[0]: و لا قطة
[1]: قطة واحدة
[2]: قطتان
[3]: %n من القطط
[4]: %n قطط
[5]: %n قطة

Sorry if you cant see the above because of stupid Yahoo encoding.
Anyone willing to test this stuff out?