Re: More on KDE's Status

On Yau al-Thulatha 16 Thu al-Qi`dah 1425 8:08 pm, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> --- Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir at arabeyes dot org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Interesting! Didn't we reach that agreement before and you asked us do
> > > it like this? So from now on I can't commit and say on behalf of such
> > > and such from my team? Only arabeyes is allowed proxied commits to KDE
> > > main but we are not?
> >
> > Yes and I am revoking this 'agreement'.
>
> Ah... I don't think this is something we ought to do and most certainly
> not _now_.  I highly suggest you take this up with 'core' to further
> clarify the matter.  I know alot has been said and there are raw nerves
> maybe on both ends and to be completely honest and frank 99.9% of what
> I read is shear silly and sophomoric at best.

> > I believe it is better for me to work directly with translators who are
> > interested in translating KDE. As the coordinator, I am more interested
> > in the concept and philosophy of volunteerism than having n thousand
> > strings translated by someone who has no conception of Open Source
> > software. In other words, I would rather have 2 volunteers who
> > understand Open Source and do it for the love of it than 10 paid
> > translators who are not involved in anything Open Source related.

> I think we are all in this "boat" and this was noted many times before.
> Having an established agreement with a said entity does preclude one
> from simply changing their mind midstream - again, we are a professional
> group who would like to uphold professional conduct.  If there is a
> change of heart then this topic needs to be brought-up in the context
> of a defined deadline (ie. "the policy will change starting with 3.3
> release" or similar) to have a rational open debate about the topic.

Nadim, congratulations for the voice of wisdom!

--
p.s. Remember, volunteering is the best choice! I'd hate to invoke
clause 12.A of section 543 of your employment contract; which if you

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club Member
Maintainer of the Open Arabic Bugs Project at
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugs
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS, Linux+, LPI 101
New Horizons CLC, Riyadh, SA