Re: More on KDE's Status

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 17:12 +0300, Munzir Taha wrote:

> > Our repository has already been updated to KDE_3_3_BRANCH (on KDE's
> > CVS).
>
> I am not sure if I understand this but I think you mean you haven't yet
> sync'ed the translation to KDE since I can't see it there yet.

It means that on Arabeyes' CVS, when you checkout the translate/kde
module and use the KDE_3_3_BRANCH tag, you will get the sync'ed version.
What you were working on is HEAD (or MAIN) and that is no longer sync'ed
with KDE_3_3_BRANCH of KDE's CVS.

> But you mean you just updated the messed translation (due to the wrong commit
> and really no pun intended) with what on KDE_3_3_Branch? Shouldn't the wrong
> sync against 3_2_Branch being reverted back first so that arabeyes repository
> KDE3_3_Branch?

Point out what PO's you find to be missing or incomplete so I can
further investigate it.

> According to the satus bar with its 95% there are more than 3000 strings lost!
> At least I believe this since you metioned there was a freeze and we reached
> 99% before.

The freeze happened during the time you have been translating things on
Arabeyes' CVS. In other words, there could have been changes during that
period between the last sync and the freeze.. mostly those changes are
unfuzzying fuzzied strings.

> Ok I want an approval to correct some mistakes I noticed, can I?

Okay, your account now has access to the translate/kde module.

> > 3. I will no longer accept proxied commits to the CVS, unless there is a
> > formal agreement between Arabeyes (done through Core) with a different
> > entity.
>
> Interesting! Didn't we reach that agreement before and you asked us do it like
> this? So from now on I can't commit and say on behalf of such and such from
> my team? Only arabeyes is allowed proxied commits to KDE main but we are not?

Yes and I am revoking this 'agreement'.

> > This is being said in my capacity as the KDE Coordinator. It has
> > obviously been more trouble than it's worth.
>
> No single trouble is launched by our team or our translation. The first wave
> of problems were caused by a deficiency on the script and the second wave by
> you making a wrong sync. I wonder how the rules you put will contribute to
> streamline the process.

I believe it is better for me to work directly with translators who are
interested in translating KDE. As the coordinator, I am more interested
in the concept and philosophy of volunteerism than having n thousand
strings translated by someone who has no conception of Open Source
software. In other words, I would rather have 2 volunteers who
understand Open Source and do it for the love of it than 10 paid
translators who are not involved in anything Open Source related.

So, this will be my stance unless I am overridden by Core (which I
doubt, since Core gives autonomy to project maintainers).

Arabeyes has specific procedures by which how coordinations and
cooperations between it and other entities would work. If you are
interested in maintaining such an agreement I suggest you look those
documents up (they are on the ae_admin/ module in CVS).

I am not sure if the gentlemen Cc'd are aware of those procedures, but I
think this may be an opportunity to have a look at our handbook and
specifically section 8 [1] which discusses the issue of partnerships.

[1]
http://www.arabeyes.org/download/documents/handbook/handbook-en/partnership.html

Regards
| Unix the 'right' way |  http://elzubeir.openius.com/|