Re: KDE arabic translation is about to be 100% but

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 19:39 +0300, Munzir Taha wrote:
> Hi Sirs! Hi  Stephan Kulow!

Stephan Kulow is not the KDE i18n coordinator. You probably wanted to
direct this to Thomas.

> [..]
>
> Our problem is that due to the lack of a timely proper sync and some scripts
> deficiencies, we lost hundereds if not thousands of translated strings on the

Please don't dramatize things. Most of what you thought you lost was
actually there.

> past. We asked to have a direct access to the KDE repository but it's not
> welcomed since the attitude here is to have one KDE maintainer that he alone
> could commit the files. This is good as far as the KDE maintainer is being

Yes, this will continue to be the attitude. I have asked you if you
wanted to take over the project as a whole and you said no. If you find
someone who has more free time than I do, by all means, recommend them.

> able to sync on time. This proves not possible with the Arabic language
> maintainer due to him being extremely busy even just to do this a few minutes

We have well established that this is not a few minutes job, so please
don't underestimate the task.

> [..]
>
> A quote from the Arabic KDE maintainer:
> <quote>
> you are expected to produce results in a timely fashion. The good lot of us at
> Arabeyes are not. Which means that whatever organization needs to produce
> this work needs to work around our working schedules. The reality is, I too
> have a job and am too expected to produce results in a timely fashion.
>
> Welcome to Open Source and Volunteer based work.
> </quote>

Why am I being quoted out of context here? I continue to stand by my
statement. It should be obvious to anyone that a volunteer is not held
to the same schedule and deadline as a paid employee. Not sure why that
is worth quoting.

> For example the situation now is:
> http://i18n.kde.org/stats/gui/KDE_3_3_BRANCH/ar/index.php
> 65.41 % translated
>
> http://www.arabeyes.org/misc/kde_status_bar.html
> http://www.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=KDE
> 93% translated

So? There is currently a freeze and so I am not in a hurry to sync back
to KDE.

> This is surely doesn't suit us as a professional governmental organization
> that has deadlines and review cycles for each project.

Mr. Obeid, a professionally initiated project should have a clear action
plan with proper coordination with all concerned parties, _before_
hiring people to do the work. Your project did not have a proper plan
prior to its initiation.

> Now since we have almost finished the translation, I am not asking for a cvs
> access. All I want is just someone (coolo?) to make a sync for us. I can send
> him those files to commit them or he can grab them from arabeyes until the
> Arabic KDE maintainer find time to do a sync.

As you well know, I have requested from KDE to create a generic cvs
account for KDE which they have refused. I asked for a generic one since
your work is 'temporary'.

Anyhow, Thomas, if you are itching to perform this tedious task, by all
means ;) However, I will have this done over the next couple days. Mr.
Obeid, please note that this will likely be done around 7pm (Dubai
time), since I will have to be in the office to do this (no net
connection at home at the moment).

Regards
| Unix the 'right' way |  http://elzubeir.openius.com/|