Re: corrections to Firefox pos

On Dec 18, 2004, at 4:33 AM, Ayman Hourieh wrote:

Quoting Ossama Khayat from the general list: [1]

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 23:39:47 -0800 (PST), Ossama Khayat
<okhayat at yahoo dot com> wrote:

[...]

I would prefer Eghlaq (sorry, no Arabic keyboard now, sorry)

[...]

_Please_ don't use this at all!!! Use 'Edhghat' instead.

Just wanted to reply ASAP. Will do again if Arabic letters is a must.

- Ossama

Actually, I like إضغط and إغلاق more, but I found غلق and إنقر used more in Gnome, so I thought this was the general consensus here.

I have no native intuition as to which is preferable, but it seems to me you want to have different words for clicking the mouse and pushing a button, so I'd keep نقر for the former and ضغط for the latter.

I'm sure this will send shivers of horror down the spines of many on the list, but it's worth noting that this is Microsoft usage. And since MS is likely to retain pretty much total dominance over computing in the Arab world for some time to come, I think the smart thing to do is adopt MS terminology wherever possible. People who learn computing using MS products (= virtually everybody) should not have to learn a new vocab in order to switch to Linux. "Reforming" - or even debating - MS terminology is a waste of valuable time.

-gregg