Re: Complete Report: Terminology, Wordlist...

--- cronos <cronos at maildz dot com> wrote:
    ^^^^^^^
    You might want to put your real name there :-)

> >  1. You note that you did in fact download some translations from
> >     MS - as such, can you point me to their license ?  Did MS give
> >     the users that downloaded that list full rights to use their
> >     translations ?  Again, Arabeyes only deals with Open Source
> >     code and we don't want to over-step that authority !!
> هل تريد أن تقول أنَّه إذا استعملت MS كلمة
> "مَعْلَمَة" كمقابل لـ argument��
> أو أنَّني إذا استعملت عبارة "خاطوط" كمقابل
> لـ script
> أو أنَّني أعدت إحياء كلمة "شُّع"
> واستعملتها كمقابل لـ web
> أو أنّ ArabEyes إبتكر عبارة "صندوق شاشة حوار"
> كمقابل لـ dialog box
> أو أنَّ مترجم كتاب Delphi4 in 21 Days استعمل عبارة
> "مربع التَّراكيب" كمقابل
> لـ combo box....
> فيعني ذلك أنَّ لهذا الكيان أو ذاك كامل
> حقوق الملكية الفكريَّة على هذه
> التَّرجمة أو تلك.
> الترجمة أصلا موجودة وهي من الإرث
> اللُّغويّ. لست أرى ما يمكن أن يعتبر من مجال
> حقوق الملكية، إبداعا أو منتوج فنيّ. لربما
> المنتوج ككل لكن المصطلحات اعذرني
> 8)
> أوافقك إن قلت إعادة استخدام الملف في نفس
> حالته أو في حالة مُعدَّلة إلى حدِّ
> يوحي بأنَّ نفس المادة الأصليَّة أعيد
> تنميقها وإعدادها في شكل "مغاير إلى حد
> معين".
> حتى وإن كان هناك إبداع أدبيّ، فالإبداع لم
> يأتي من لا شيء: مثلا، بالرَّغم من
> إبتكاري لعبارة
> "خاطوط" فذلك لا ينسيني أنَّها من مصادر
> معروفة ومفتوحة المصدر هي: "خط -
> تخطيط - خطاط...".

Well, I wasn't after a philosophical argument on what inventions means,
etc.  The point is simple - microsoft is not an open source believer
and their licenses are rather strict on most (if not all) things I've
seen, as such I will ask again and a simple yes/no answer would do.

 1. Did you copy/download terms and their translations from microsoft ?
 2. Did their license note that you could use it for anything you like
    such as an open sourced GPL project ?

My guess the answer to the 2 above questions will be YES and NO which
then will lead me to the following request.

 A. Can you please send me a list of the microsoft terms you downloaded
    and/or point me to where you got them from (I will want to exclude
    them).

If I don't get the info above, I will be inclined to simply remove the
entire 'techlist' needlessly.

Salam & Thanks.