Re: Complete Report: Terminology, Wordlist...

Salam there,

I wonder why we are all going round and round in circles, with no progress at all... And I don't see any point in having a passionate debate. I would like to give a few suggestions that I think may contribute to unveil a correct solution about this issue:

1- Let's for now continue to work on each project separetly. Hafid, I remember that you've been asked by Mohammed Elzubeir wether you wanted to take over the KDE coordinator job. What was your answer ? I believe that your contribution is crucial.

2- In the background, I suggest a creation of a 'Quality Control Comittee'. I suggest that the actual translation coordinators and a few others should constitue that commitee. Namely: Ahmad (Al-Rasheedan), Ahmad (Twaijri), Arafat (Medini), Hafid (or Mohammed Elzubeir ?), Munzir, Ossama, one or two core-ites, and everyone I forgot ;) [I personally would like to be in it].

3- Nadim made a proposition to create a 'Technical Wordlist'. I think the list should constitute all the technical terms for the existing GNOME, KDE POs and whatever else.

4- The commitee should go on that list word by word (details of the procedure to be fixed later, Ossama has already given a few points of what should be discussed) and agrees on a translation. The agreement could be done by vote or something else. But in case an agreement can't be reached on a translation, I don't see any problem in having two or more translations per word.

5a- Translation coordinators are responsible to apply the committee directives inside their projects. Well, that should be rather easy, since the coordinators are supposed to be in the comittee ;) This means that if the 'Technical Wordlist' contains three translations of one word, there should be no other translation in the POs of it except those three (the KDE POs contain one hundred translations per word now ;)

5b- The coordinators are free to use any translation as long as it is in the 'Technical Wordlist'. But if Word1 has Translation1, Translation2, Translation3 in the wordlist, and a coordinator 'likes' Translation2, then it is preferable that all the POs of that project contain only Translation2.

I hope this makes sense. I believe that we should quickly start to look into points 1, 2 and 3. As suggested by Ossama, maybe we should fix a meeting to discuss how to proceed.

If the idea is fine, I ask kindly (;-) the people who I named explictely to give their agreement or not to sit in that 'commitee'. But I sure have forgotten some people, so please give your opinion too ;)

Salam,

Youcef.

PS: Please, this is an open discussion. There is no point of telling 'I want to leave', 'I may have left' or something of this kind ;)

MSN Messenger http://g.msn.fr/FR1001/866 : dialoguez en son et en images avec vos amis