Re: Going the easy way

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 08:04:58AM +0100, Mohammed Gamal wrote:

> > > directory
> >
> > no borrowing here, "melaf" or "daftar" are the
> > "common popular".
> I don't agree with you here the common word for it
> among Computer Users is "Daleel"

You are right (Daleel). We weill be struggling through this as we first get our feet
wet, but this will get better as we establish some standard for this. There
is work being done to get an online dictionary/glossary/etc. database so it
would make life easier for all translators.

The word 'Malaf' should be used to translate 'File'. 'Directory' is best
trasnlated as 'Daleel' (or even daftar is applicable, but we will go with
daleel).

> I think we have to borrow something from Window$ here,
> which is "shortcut" to be arabized into "Ikhtisar"

But very carefully. We don't want to repeat the mistakes of Microsoft, who
have more than anything, obfuscated Arabic computer terms.

> > > filesystem format alias applet
> File System: (That's borrowed from Micro$oft
> Arabization) "Nidham Al Malaffat"
>
> Format: It depends on the meaning if you mean
> formatting HDDs or FDDs then it's "Tahye2a"
>
> Alias: I've absolutely no Idea
>
> Applet: Most Arabs translated "Applet"(of Java) as
> "Boraymej", I don't think we have to invent a new
> word, "Boraymej" is good enough.

Yes. As a rule of thumb, see how you can play with the one Arabic word to
produce other words for the translation: barnamij, boraymij, etc.

> My Suggestion for HOWTO is "Kayfa A3mal"
> & For FAQ it's "Al-As2ela Al-Motakarrera"

I agree.

> > > LILO
> >
> > Unix commands are not arabized (yet). If it's a
> > command, keep it in English, until
> > arabized, if ever.

The general rule is, when it's an abbreviation (like LILO for LInux LOader)
and since it's only known as LILO, we maintain the same pronunciation but with
Arabic characters.

As for words that have precedence, like ones Microsoft has been using in their
Arabic Windows here is what I think. Refer to MS, and see what they say. Then,
if the word is:
a) heavy (to pronounce)
b) sounds odd and unsusal (something you would never say out loud!)
c) too long (takes more than one word from English)

then you discard the MS version and search for alternatives. This may be in
about half the cases.

However, when MS has already been using a word, and even if there are
'seemingly' better alternatives (and as long as the translation MS has used
does not violate any of the above rules) then we go with the MS version.

Not to lose sight of the primary objective: every Arab-speaking person must be
able to easily relate and navigate through a system without having to acquire
a tremendous amount of knowledge and new terminology that is both odd and
awkward.

Keep up the good work!

| Mohammed Elzubeir                    | http://www.fakkir.net/           |
| Tech Support                         | http://www.arabeyes.org/         |
| College of Business Computing Center | Homepage:                        |
| University of North Texas            | http://www.fakkir.net/~elzubeir/ |