Re: Going the easy way

 --- "Chahine M. Hamila" <mch at chaham dot com> wrote: >
Isam Bayazidi wrote:

> > HI all ..
>
> Hi
>

> >         Chahine suggests that we should go the
> easy way, and give the arabic
> > alphabet to the english word that is known with
> their English names .. but
> > I am afraid that we go far on doing this we will
> end up with a whole
> > interface written in english with arabic alphabet
> !  How far should we go ?
>
> Read the The Words She Stole, and the Common Popular
> Law from the draft:)
> Not far, just when the use is extremely
> widespread...
>

> > - here is the list of few of the word that are
> known in their English
> > names, and either does not have an arabic
> translation, or it is not known :
>
> a few answers from my limited knowledge (correct me
> if I'm wrong):
>
> > directory
>
> no borrowing here, "melaf" or "daftar" are the
> "common popular".
I don't agree with you here the common word for it
among Computer Users is "Daleel"

> > symbol Link ( symlink )
>
> no borrowing, "Qayd" is the "common popular"

I think we have to borrow something from Window$ here,
which is "shortcut" to be arabized into "Ikhtisar"

> > filesystem format alias applet
File System: (That's borrowed from Micro$oft
Arabization) "Nidham Al Malaffat"

Format: It depends on the meaning if you mean
formatting HDDs or FDDs then it's "Tahye2a"

Alias: I've absolutely no Idea

Applet: Most Arabs translated "Applet"(of Java) as
"Boraymej", I don't think we have to invent a new
word, "Boraymej" is good enough.

> I have no idea here to be honest
>
> > HTTP ( I think that this should stay at english
> letters, these names can't
> > be used in  arabic alphabet"
>
> Try saying that to a kid who hasn't learnt the Latin
> alaphabet yet:) That's the
> best way to test if your translation is acceptable.
> Arabic URLs are coming, so
> you'll have to translate it sooner or later, or our
> kids will have to either
> change their mother tongue or learn hieroglyphs
> (Latin letters that is)...
>
> > HOWTO
>
> errrr... be creative;) "keyfa" for howto comes to
> mind... You don't have to keep
> them as is anyway, someone who's going to look for
> docs is someone who's making an
> effort to learn. There's room for creativity here.
> This is just a suggestion. In
> any case, just make something that has chances to
> become "common popular" (i.e.
> easy, clear, in Arabic, bayyen, that's the main
> driver).

My Suggestion for HOWTO is "Kayfa A3mal"
& For FAQ it's "Al-As2ela Al-Motakarrera"

> > LILO
>
> Unix commands are not arabized (yet). If it's a
> command, keep it in English, until
> arabized, if ever.
>

> > and other .. should we NOT use the English
> alphabet here ( specially for
> > the last 4 examples ?) .. using the English
> alphabet is unavoidable, and
> > using Arabic letters for it will confuse those who
> know the terms, or look
> > for it in English later, to satisfy those who
> doesn't know the Latin letters...
> > Let's set our priorities here .. we need Linux to
> be understandable by the
> > average Arab Computer User, not by my grandfather
> or grandmother, we can
> > work on the grandfathers and grandmothers later ..
>
> Kids are the ones who have the most time available
> to invest on learning, hacking
> and therefore developping this kind of thing. Right,
> our grandmas are not the most
> important, our kids are. An American kid can start
> developping at the age of 7, an
> Arab kid will have to wait his late teen at best, if
> he has enough means in
> English or French to proceed (my teaching experience
> shows Latin alphabet is even
> hardly enough for use).
> If it's not easy to an average Arab user, it won't
> be easy for a kid, and
> vice-versa, so you don't have to chose between
> today's average user and a kid
> (tomorrow's average user, maybe developper if we
> give them a chance), you can have
> both by eradicating English while keeping it simple.
>
> > differences in translation between the words
> configure ,
>
> Dabbet
>
> > Options,
>
> khayaraat
>
> > setting,
>
> ta7Deer

Toi be honest I borrowed a lot from Micro$oft's Arabic
terms because it'll be more understandable for an
average Arab user, Micro$oft uses "E3dadat" for
"Settings", & I don't think we have to reinvent the
wheel here.

> > preferences ..
>
> mufaDDalaat

I think we have to have a very little change here &
change mufaDDalat to be "TafDeelat"