Re: More questions

medawar at panix dot com wrote:

> When word-for-word translation won't do, functional translation is OK.

Actually, we've discussed this a lot before, and functional translation is not
practical, especially with those terms that are often used (in the case of the
"infrequently used" different kinds of menus I guess it can pass), so it would
better be avoided when possible.

> No sense translating acronyms

It does if the word has been lexicalized (i.e. became a word in practice) in
Arabic. In which case, what is an acronym in English simply becomes a full word in
Arabic. Simplicity rules.

In any case, the final decision is up to the one who does the job.