Re: Months Names

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 02:28:08PM -0700, Imed Chihi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have just joined the list. I understood there's only one KDE locale
> for Arabic: "ar". I don't think that agreeing on one name will be
> acceptable by many users, I'm almost sure that the "Maghreb" people
> won't like using the Hindi digits (o for 5, V for 7, etc).

Actually, it's 'ara' (Argentinians were there before us ;)..). We are going to
go with the Arabic numerals (1,2,3,..etc) and ignore the Hindi digits for the
time being.

> The only differences I can see are the clashes on month names
> (Gregorian, Arabic, "Magharibi" and Libyan), digits (Hindi digits vs.
> Arabic digits) and dates (Hijri vs. Gregorian vs. Libyan).
>
> Would this be worth creating separate locales like: ar_TN, ar_DZ, ar_SA,
> ar_EG, etc.? It would be doable but very redundant and I don't think
> that Posix allows for coarse-grained locales like ar_MAGHRIB and
> ar_MASHRIK: the upercase letters need to be an ISO 3166 country name. On
> Windows, there's a locale per country.

Sure. I'll do that. But, for now, I'm not too concerned about the consmetics
of it.

> Does anyone know whether this has been addressed before? For example how
> does CDE on Solaris 8 behave?
>
> 	-Imed
>
> PS: Libya has changed the month names about two years ago, now they are
> "Sayf", "Nasser", etc. They have also changed the "year 0" from "Hijra"
> to the year The Prophet Mohammed passed away.

Like I said, it's a good thing you bring this up. However, we will worry about
the locales once we have a base to start from. I have entered some general
Arabic locales and it hit me first when I came across currency names.

Thanks.

| Mohammed Elzubeir                    | http://www.fakkir.net/           |
| Tech Support                         | http://www.arabeyes.org/         |
| College of Business Computing Center | Homepage:                        |
| University of North Texas            | http://www.fakkir.net/~elzubeir/ |