Re: Months Names

Hi all,

I have just joined the list. I understood there's only one KDE locale
for Arabic: "ar". I don't think that agreeing on one name will be
acceptable by many users, I'm almost sure that the "Maghreb" people
won't like using the Hindi digits (o for 5, V for 7, etc).

The only differences I can see are the clashes on month names
(Gregorian, Arabic, "Magharibi" and Libyan), digits (Hindi digits vs.
Arabic digits) and dates (Hijri vs. Gregorian vs. Libyan).

Would this be worth creating separate locales like: ar_TN, ar_DZ, ar_SA,
ar_EG, etc.? It would be doable but very redundant and I don't think
that Posix allows for coarse-grained locales like ar_MAGHRIB and
ar_MASHRIK: the upercase letters need to be an ISO 3166 country name. On
Windows, there's a locale per country.

Does anyone know whether this has been addressed before? For example how
does CDE on Solaris 8 behave?

	-Imed

PS: Libya has changed the month names about two years ago, now they are
"Sayf", "Nasser", etc. They have also changed the "year 0" from "Hijra"
to the year The Prophet Mohammed passed away.