Re: Months Names

--- Imed Chihi <Ichihi at sprintlabs dot com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have just joined the list. I understood there's only one KDE locale
> for Arabic: "ar". I don't think that agreeing on one name will be
> acceptable by many users, I'm almost sure that the "Maghreb" people
> won't like using the Hindi digits (o for 5, V for 7, etc).
>
> The only differences I can see are the clashes on month names
> (Gregorian, Arabic, "Magharibi" and Libyan), digits (Hindi digits vs.
> Arabic digits) and dates (Hijri vs. Gregorian vs. Libyan).

I think a least common denominator approach needs to be taken irrespective
of who might object.  In other words, use the most commonly used terms in
all the combined Arabic countries (newspapers are a good example - they, in
most countries, show both Hijri and Gregorian dates -- is that possible
within the KDE framework ?).

If time permits these things could be taken care of in the future (ie.
adding country-specific localizations), otherwise this might splinter
the effort needlessly.  Make a note (or a list :-) of the files in question
and move on.....

Just my opinion of course :-)