Re: verse by verse or Seeking in Quran audio files

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 09:35:29AM +0200, moayyad sadi wrote:
> I have seen that almost all linux Quran related apps uses verse by
> verse audio files
> I consider this to be a limitation
> or a workaround that is no more needed

probably because they are all using libquran ?
I can't remember why was the decision to have each sora in a separate file taken.

> I was working on GST
> and it support very accurate seeking (measured in nano second and
> depending on file format it degrades to millisecond 0.001 sec)

I'd vote for that also. It makes handling mass files easier. A quick application
to aid marking the end of each aya can also be developed so what you need to do
is listen to the sora, press a button at the end of each aya and the application
will record it in a text/XML file.

This makes it easier to utilize all the existing recordings available out there.

The only problem I can see is when a reader doesn't stop at the end of the aya. What
to do with that (It's the same problem with the previous way anyway) ?

> I try it and it was very easy to be implemented
> (within one day I have designed a GTK+ testing application)
>
> one file per sura means that we could add a new recitation without
> reencoding and loose audio quality

You don't need to reencode. You can always split the files (mpgsplit from the mpgtx package)

> and I think it could be much faster to import new recitations ..etc..

I second that.

Cheers,

--
GPG-Key: 0xA3FD0DF7 - 9F73 032E EAC9 F7AD 951F  280E CB66 8E29 A3FD 0DF7
Debian User and Developer.