Re: Zekr 0.6.0 final is ready

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007, Mohsen Saboorian wrote:
> dsc file:
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/z/zekr/zekr_0.5.1.dfsg-1.dsc

Some remarks at first glance:

 - debian/control
   --------------

1/ Please fix the Maintainer: field, as we are going to do it the Debian way ;-)
2/ "B-D: dpatch" --> I really suggest you use quilt.
3/ Depends: on ${misc:Depends} and ${shlibs:Depends}
4/ Do you really need dependency relationships with all the fonts packages?

 | Depends: ttf-kacst, ttf-scheherazade, ttf-farsiweb, ttf-freefont
 | Recommends: ttf-nafees, ttf-freefarsi, msttcorefonts
5/ I am not sure you need to Suggest all the l10n packages
(see http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-best-pkging-practices.en.html#s-bpp-desc-basics 6.2.1 and 6.2.2)

 - debian/copyright
   ----------------

1/ Update the year in the Copyrights
2/ s/domian/domain/
3/ I don't know the status of the Eclipse license wrt the DFSG
4/ The copyright file is really well written :)

 - debian/rules
   ------------

1/ You don't need to call dh_install
2/ Make use of DEB_VERSION instead of computing it
3/ No need for DEB_FINALDIR
4/ Use debian/dirs to create /usr/bin
5/ No need for dh_installchangelogs doc/changes.txt nor dh_installdocs
debian/README.source if you list these files in debian/docs
6/ No need for a clean:: target (it is implicit)
7/ For the get-orig-source:: target, don't you prefer running uscan
along with a debian/watch file?
8/ Please try to get upstream (you? :) remove all the useless files
(*.zip, *.jar, ...) and provide them apart on his website. That's the
best way to get zekr distribution-friendly (for Debian, Mandriva, and
others)
9/ Why is the package repackaged and called .dfsg? Are there non-free
files in the upstream tarball?

 - debian/README.Debian
   --------------------

Please reword it including README.source and making it distribution
neutral (that's to say transparent to Debian/Ubuntu).

For instance:

Zekr comes with translations in French, Spanish, Foo, Bar packaged as
zekr-quran-translations-XY where XY is the ISO code of the language. Run
  $ apt-cache search zekr-quran-translations
in a shell to list them all.
<<<

Or put that in a README and install it using debian/docs.

README.Debian is for Debian-specific informations.

 - debian/zekr.1
   -------------

Please clean it from all the comments.

 - debian/changelog
   ----------------

1/ Please use a Debian version number and a Debian distribution target
2/ Only mention "Initial release. (Closes: #nnnnnn)" where #nnnnnn is
your ITP bug number
3/ Update the date (hint: use dch from the devscripts package to edit
the changelog file)

 - debian/zekr.sh
   --------------

Please check if this is the proper way to make use of Mozilla's browsers
(see other packages that do that or tell me and I'll ask the maintainer
what the proper way is).

That's all for the first glance. Good work already. Please keep it up
and make the according changes so that we can send this to NEW ;-)

 - debian/watch

Please add such a file (see uscan(1)) for more information.

Next steps:
 - build-time checks
 - lintian and linda checks
 - piuparts checks