Re: Arabic wordlist for aspell is available.

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 05:58:31PM +0200, Michele Barontini wrote:
> Alle 01:34, mercoledì 5 aprile 2006, Mohammed Sameer ha scritto:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Let me start first with a screenshot:
> > http://www.eglug.org/arabic_spell_for_openoffice
> >
> > I can say that we currently have a tiny wordlist with about 71,000 words.
> > It has been generated from various sources,
> >
> > No affix/infix or anything yet, It can be done later.
> >
> > For aspell:
> > ftp://foolab.org/pub/software/arspell/20060329/aspell-ar-20060329.tar.bz2
> > for OpenOffice: ftp://foolab.org/pub/software/arspell/20060329/ar.zip
> >
> > aspell-ar debs for etch: http://home.foolab.org/debs/aspell-ar/20060329/1/
> >
> > I've also submitted an ITP for debian but I'm looking for a sponsor.
> >
> > probably it contains some spelling mistakes and we need to extend it.
> >
> > Any ideas ? thoughts ? "other than converting it NOW to affix/infix"
>
> Afarim Mohammed
>
> Many thanks for your job. I would like to contribute to the extension of the
> aspell dict, but, what sort of discipline do you propose? Concentrate on
> litterary texts? On the current arabic of the press? The technical jargon(s)?
> Distribute the tasks between different people? Product a document of advices
> (linguistics and tech:what to record, what files to send back, etc.) for
> contributors?

Michele,
I'm really sorry for the delay.
I have no connectivity at home these days and no time for personal things during
the office hours.

Well, What I really need ATM is:
* People to review
* Ideas to extend the list as we are still missing a lot of common words!

I try to put any accurately reasonable source I find in but looks like this
is not enough as I did add what I have and no idea from where can we get Arabic text.

I understand I can use a spider to harvest some Arabic websites and include the words
But I don't guarantee the spelling correctness which will make the life of volunteers
harder

What do you think ?

--
GNU/Linux registered user #224950