Re: Bug in QtQuran

Dear Ahmed,

On 12/28/05, Ahmed El-Helw <ahmed at piousity dot net> wrote:
> alsalam 3alaikum,
> i have done a lot with the libquran library even though my name is not
> on the
> contributor's page (fixed some bugs in it, used it to develop the
> transliteration
> search engine if you guys remember that).

Good. Keep it up.

> i have a question and a comment - i'll start with the comment, that
> saying that
> i would be willing to work on a version of software using libquran,
> however, i'd
> prefer to do something with gtk since i already know it a little bit
> (whereas i
> haven't really done much with qt).  so i would work on gtk version of
> quran rather
> than the qt one... however, i'd like some suggestions, especially in
> terms of the
> user interface...  if i can get these suggestions, i'd be more than
> happy to work on
> a gtk version insha'Allah.

There is a gtk version , mostly done by M. Damt. Originally from
Indonesia but not in Finland. He works for Nokia, mainly the Linux
port for Nokia hardware (maemo i think). However, seems  like he is
not active contributing to the project anymore. I had a conversation
with him last time. So, you might want to send him email. I think he
is still interested in the project, because at his website, he says
that he manage to port the application to Maemo, so users can read the
Quran using Nokia phone!

> the question i have is as to how different the updated xmls are from the
> original
> arabic xml... like besides splitting it up into 114 files, were things
> really found to
> be wrong (i am asking because i am using the original arabic xml file in
> some websites
> and in this case, they need to be updated (?)).

I believe there is not much different between the files. However, I
would suggest for you to try out my XML files. I think it is not
available at arabeyes. The files should be complete, but not been
proofread (completely) yet. So far, it seems good. However, please
refer to the discussion at general mailing list about some of the
encoding issues. Also, if you are planning to use my file, you have to
use my font as well to make it work correctly.

Let me know is you have any questions. FYI, I have a versy limited
internet connection (cannot do IRC, ftp etc), so email is preferred.

Regards.