Re: Arabbix

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 10:54:25PM -0700, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> --- Mohammed Sameer <uniball at gmx dot net> wrote:
> > I'm currently working on a GNU/Linux live CD, I'm doing this because
> > arabbix is _in MY opinion_ dead. And we at eglug.org always need a CD
> > to demonstrate the Arabic desktop.
>
> Well, not to step on anyone's toes (sorry in advance), but yes Arabbix
> needs to wake up from it VERY long sabbatical and really transform itself
> into a real project in which others (and there has been alot of interest)
> can partake.
>
> As has been noted there are a number of "Arabic" Live-CD efforts out there
> without any mutual coordination - I, personally, think that is a bit of a
> waste.  I would have suggested (and I have mind you :-) that some commonality
> be established so that everyone can benefit and then have the various efforts
> veer into their own "specialty" (arabic-centric, more/less eye-candy, just
> a demo, less GUI, etc).
>
> I'd really like to hear other people's thoughts on how we can re-spark the
> interest in Arabbix to see it move forward in a more consistent and a more
> vibrant manner.  More importantly, we really need to turn Arabbix around so
> that it becomes a model of how others should build their distros in terms
> of publishing HOWTOs, FAQs and in general share in the knowledge of what
> this all means (after all that was one of the main goals behind Arabbix).
>
> Thoughts/Opinions/Directions ?

Well, All what I can say is why I'm building the CD.
We at eglug.org frequently need to demonstrate the GNU/Linux Arabic desktop and/or arabeyes.org efforts, Everytime we search for a live CD to fullfill this purpose - And this happened the last week -, But we simply don't find any CD except arabbix, Now arabbix - with all my full respect to anmar - is somehow buggy, outdated and sure it needs more work, Why not takeover the project ? Simply, I Can't, from a technical point of view, Arabbiix which is based on morphix is using cloop filesystem, I simply can't generate the cloop file because I don't have enough memory to do this, And I won't buy a 512 MB RAM for my laptop just to do it, I tried but the system crashed.
If we bypass this point, The arabbix production procedure is simply unknown to me, I'll have to sit down, and try to figure out all the things I need, So why not build it from scratch ?
Why not base it on phaeronix <www.phaeronix.net> ? Phaeronix is based on LFS, And the guy is using rox for the desktop, I don't think that I like rox, I'll be using gnome and NOT kde because gnome is - thanks Arafat - 100% translated. And I don't have the time to compile from source.
I'm not building a CD a user can install. Only a live CD, I can cooperate with the LLUG guys, but abdo told me yesterday that he can only send me a CD, I can't download the ISO due to technical things in Lebanon.

Now tell me what am I supposed to do ? ;-)

And for all,
Best regards.

--
-- Katoob Main Developer