Re: Arabbix

 --- Mohammed Sameer <uniball at gmx dot net> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 10:54:25PM -0700, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
[...]
> > As has been noted there are a number of "Arabic" Live-CD efforts out there
> > without any mutual coordination - I, personally, think that is a bit of a
> > waste.  I would have suggested (and I have mind you :-) that some
> commonality
> > be established so that everyone can benefit and then have the various
> efforts
> > veer into their own "specialty" (arabic-centric, more/less eye-candy, just
> > a demo, less GUI, etc).

We need that, yes.

> > Thoughts/Opinions/Directions ?

Just remember. You asked for it;)

> Well, All what I can say is why I'm building the CD.
> We at eglug.org frequently need to demonstrate the GNU/Linux Arabic desktop
> and/or arabeyes.org efforts, Everytime we search for a live CD to fullfill
> this purpose - And this happened the last week -, But we simply don't find
> any CD except arabbix, Now arabbix - with all my full respect to anmar - is
> somehow buggy, outdated and sure it needs more work, Why not takeover the
> project ? Simply, I Can't, from a technical point of view, Arabbiix which is
> based on morphix is using cloop filesystem, I simply can't generate the cloop
> file because I don't have enough memory to do this, And I won't buy a 512 MB
> RAM for my laptop just to do it, I tried but the system crashed.
> If we bypass this point, The arabbix production procedure is simply unknown
> to me, I'll have to sit down, and try to figure out all the things I need, So
> why not build it from scratch ?

Clearly demonstrated is the need to have a Linux Live CD, immediately. I added
immediately because we all feel the need. But I understand that Mohammed needs
it now, and is willing to do something for that.
But I think building from scratch is a bit too much, if we can do it in less
effort/time using Arabbix. Unfortuanately, this is a big if.
With the situation currently standing, probably we need to have a confirmation
that Arabbix is not dead, rather than otherwise.

> Why not base it on phaeronix <www.phaeronix.net> ? Phaeronix is based on LFS,
> And the guy is using rox for the desktop, I don't think that I like rox, I'll
> be using gnome and NOT kde because gnome is - thanks Arafat - 100%
> translated. And I don't have the time to compile from source.

Does 'based on LFS' means you are more happy with it, in terms of skills,
Mohammed?

> Now tell me what am I supposed to do ? ;-)

The one thing you should _not_ do is make another LiveCD distro which you
manage and are an expert in all by your self, and then I and then another, till
we reach Arabbix XIV or something.

btw, what is the east asian language in the phaeronix page?

=====
"Never trust a computer you can't lift."
"How does one lift a virtual machine? :-)"

"Using the "cp" command :)"
                                                .. As seen on OxLug