Re: Arabbix

--- Mohammed Sameer <uniball at gmx dot net> wrote:
> I'm currently working on a GNU/Linux live CD, I'm doing this because
> arabbix is _in MY opinion_ dead. And we at eglug.org always need a CD
> to demonstrate the Arabic desktop.

Well, not to step on anyone's toes (sorry in advance), but yes Arabbix
needs to wake up from it VERY long sabbatical and really transform itself
into a real project in which others (and there has been alot of interest)
can partake.

As has been noted there are a number of "Arabic" Live-CD efforts out there
without any mutual coordination - I, personally, think that is a bit of a
waste.  I would have suggested (and I have mind you :-) that some commonality
be established so that everyone can benefit and then have the various efforts
veer into their own "specialty" (arabic-centric, more/less eye-candy, just
a demo, less GUI, etc).

I'd really like to hear other people's thoughts on how we can re-spark the
interest in Arabbix to see it move forward in a more consistent and a more
vibrant manner.  More importantly, we really need to turn Arabbix around so
that it becomes a model of how others should build their distros in terms
of publishing HOWTOs, FAQs and in general share in the knowledge of what
this all means (after all that was one of the main goals behind Arabbix).

Thoughts/Opinions/Directions ?