Re: BiCon [keymaps and numerals]

Wait Wati.  Please first tell me what do you mean by Arabic
numerals and what by Hindi numerals??   The names are really
confusing.  Better you tell me in Unicode values:  U+0030..U+0039
is the European digits, and U+0660..U+0669 is the set written in
Arabic script.  Now what you call which?

Moreover, with keymaps, it's not that hard.  It would be nice if
you start the initiative to check with all countris through
people living there.  Finally, either we use the symlink trick,
or the inclusion.  You can include other files in your keymap, so
this way you can simply put the basic Arabic layout in a file,
Arabic digits in another file, ... and simply include pieces they
like for each country...

...Or we can go for a release without that too.  [I have not yet
fixed that bug I said, but I will do ASAP]

behdad

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 09:53, Anmar Oueja wrote:
> > Hello Mohammed:
> >
> > Last time I checked, almost all Arabic countries use the Arabic numerals
> > and NOT the Hindi numerals any more. There is a push for Arabic numerals
> > in most publications and schools. All I am saying is that we should
> > double check the official authority per country prior to deciding
>
> Umm.. I'm not sure where you live.. oh wait, Canada ;) You are wrong,
> most Arab countries do use the Hindi numerals. All of them with the
> exception of Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia and (Mauritania? not sure about
> that one). The rest use Hindi numerals.
>
> I am (and my record attests to that) very much against Hindi numerals,
> but a fact is a fact. The issue here is not what is most popular, it is
> what differences exist between Arab countries to create the proper
> keymap.. and in that case, the only difference is the numerals.
>
> Regards,
> Mohammed Elzubeir

--behdad
  behdad.org