Re: BiCon [keymaps and numerals]

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 09:53, Anmar Oueja wrote:
> Hello Mohammed:
>
> Last time I checked, almost all Arabic countries use the Arabic numerals
> and NOT the Hindi numerals any more. There is a push for Arabic numerals
> in most publications and schools. All I am saying is that we should
> double check the official authority per country prior to deciding

Umm.. I'm not sure where you live.. oh wait, Canada ;) You are wrong,
most Arab countries do use the Hindi numerals. All of them with the
exception of Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia and (Mauritania? not sure about
that one). The rest use Hindi numerals.

I am (and my record attests to that) very much against Hindi numerals,
but a fact is a fact. The issue here is not what is most popular, it is
what differences exist between Arab countries to create the proper
keymap.. and in that case, the only difference is the numerals.

Regards,
Mohammed Elzubeir