Re: [Fribidi-discuss] Re: FriBidi's license (was - my Bidi...)

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

Of course, my entire contribution to fribidi thus far has been a single
bug report, and suggesting a development direction for the "new
interface" that nobody seems to like. I am not a copyright holder, and
thus not one who's opinion binds anyone.

I really like your suggestion about doing bidi on UTF-anything, and constantly think about it. I have not yet found a good solution that satisfies all my requirements:

* No source/object code duplication.

* No significant overhead for UTF-32.

* No dirty interface.

Yes, well. I did not think my suggestion consisted of a dirty interface. I even managed to convince Dov of that during a lift I gave him after the Go-Linux event last year. Maybe I shouldn't have changed those flights and gone through Toronto after all - a face to face helps in convincing of that :-P

In any case, I started working on that, and then realized that it's far too much work unless we seperate the character types and the actual resolving. Once that is done, I'm fairly confident I can convince you how to do that satisfying all of the above requirements.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Systems Consulting