Re: Arabize 0.1

Riyad Preukschas wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum,

wa alykum al salam :)

Great work!
I like it.

Thnx a lot, finally someone likes it :)

I think this is a good idea. For people like me who are not native Arabic speakers/writers it is quite complicated to get used to the Arabic writing (on PC)

And for natives as well. It's been 6 computing years with me, and I am still a turtle ;) Problem is we rarely type in Arabic, but type in English daily

- mainly because there are more letters than in
Latin based languages so you have to use keys for typing you normally don't use.
Another thing is, due to not having an Arabic keyboard I find it quite difficult to remember a key's position, because the Arabic letter that is assigned to a specific key has a totally different pronunciation than the Latin one - this gets worse when they are close in the alphabet: l -> MIM, k -> NUN .

So go on.

I found some transliterations which I think are not that intuitive. So here is my correction proposal: q -> QAF j -> JIM g -> GHAYN KH -> KHA (T' -> DHA) (DH -> DHAD) (A -> ALIF MAKSURA) ((t) -> TA MARBUTA)

Well, not exactly the ones I use, but Arabize reads the transliteration tables from a TXT file, so u can easily define ur own mappings!

I hope you find a way to enable harakat.
maybe like this:
\a    -> FATHA
\A    -> FATHATAN
\c    -> HAMZA
\_c    -> HAMZA BOTTOM
\i    -> KASSRA
\I    -> KASSRATAN
\o    -> SUKKUN
\u    -> DHAMMA
\U    -> DHAMMATAN
\w    -> SHADDA

I am not sure how to write DHAMMA mathalan with the keyboard. But if it's a standard UTF8 char, then yes it can be added easily by just editing the TXT file I talked about as well, and define this mapping

Salam, Riyad Preukschas

regards

PS: If there are any other feature requests like that, let me know, and let me know where should I head in the future with arabize.

salam