Re: Quran Topic Indexing

Assalamu Alaikum,

Ossama Khayat wrote:
Nice work. Comments:
1. In general, why don't we use Verse for Aya (not
Ayat as it's plural), and Chapter for Sûra.

OK, my mistake. I changed all "ayat"s to "aya" and all "ayats"s to "ayat" to make it correct.

If you are referring to the XPath expressions they are dependent on the structure of the XML file you are applying them to.

Example:

//sura[ at nr='2']/aya[ at nr='255']

This matches all "aya" elements which have an attribute named "nr" with the value "255" and a parent element named "sura" with an attribute named "nr" with the value of "2".
If we apply this rule to a quran file there will be exact one match.
because the structure is like this:
<quran>
<sura nr="">
<aya nr=""></aya>
</sura>
</quran>

if we had a source like this:
<book>
	<chapter nr="">
		<verse nr=""></verse>
	</chapter>
</book>

we would have to change the XPath expressions to match the content of the file.

2. What does version (in index) stand for?

It stands for the version of the document structure.
This gives application programmers the possibility to check whether their app supports all features provided with this file. So we have to change the value every time we add another feature (after release) that is incompatible to prior versions.

Salam, Riyad Preukschas