Re: Things to be done

On Tuesday 02 March 2004 23:33, Riyad Preukschas wrote:
> Assalamu Alaikum,
>
> Mohammed Yousif wrote:
> >
> >  I don't think they are really needed as (as you said) it's really clear
> >  that they are from (U+06D6 to U+06DB) so why not letting the machine
> >  detect them rather than telling it that the character 06D6 is from the
> > group (U+06D6 to U+06DB) and thus is a stop sign (fen wednak ya goha :-)
>
> What do you mean by this? Do you mean that the stop signs should be
> included in the source code of the application or included in the data
> files as UTF-8 characters (i.e. not using the <br> stuff)?

 No, I mean that their existence (utf8 characters) is enough to recognize
 them.

> btw.: what does "fen wednak ya goha" mean?

 Where's your Ear Goha(Nasrudin)?
 It's a common joke about Goha that someone asked him that question
 and thus he used his right arm to point to his left ear!
 If you do not know who is Goha, check:
   http://pages.ivillage.com/nafisa2002/Mulla.htm

> As far as I understood you wanted to include as much information to the
> app's source code instead of putting info into the data files. So I
> tried to give the reasons why I included these elements in the draft.
>
> example 1 (allah element):
> ar s001a002:
> en s001a002:

 I'm not with you here, why would I want to know if a specific word means
 Allah or not?

> example 2 (comment element (mainly for translations)):
>
> en s001a005:
>
> en s002a255:
> <sura nr="2" ...>
> <aya nr="255">
> 	<qurantext> ... </qurantext>
> 	<comment>This ayat is also called "Ayat-al-kursi". ...</comment>
> </aya>
> </sura>
>
> en s113:
> <sura nr="113" name="Al-Falaq" translation="Daybreak"> ... </sura>
> <comment>This sura and the next one are also called the protective
> suras. ...</comment>

 No problem with that.

> I'm sorry if I misunderstood something and gave a harsh answer.

 Never mind, I didn't really know it was harsh until you told me :-)

> >  I think I like the first one but again I don't see any need for the <br>
> > tag (The machine can do that, why let humans do it?)
>
> If you think about putting them into the app's source I have to disagree
> with you, because there are different styles of Quran (e.g. Hafs, Warsh)
> with differences in haraka (if this is the word for fatha, kassra,
> dhamma, etc.) and stop signing. (If you want me to produce proof I can
> scan two different ones to show you.)
> But If you were just thinking about using the UTF-8 equivalents instead
> everything is alright with me.

 No, no, that is not good :-)
 I certainly didn't mean that.
 By 'implementing' a XML DTD, I mean making libquran able to parse/read it.

--
ولا أظلــم ابـن العـم إن كان إخـوتـي
شــهـوداً وقد أودى بإخــــوتـه الدهــر