Re: PuTTY testing, shaping done, Little Bidi

--- ahmad khalifa <ahmadkhalifa at hotmail dot com> wrote:
> pheww, at last, im done with PuTTY.. well almost done...

Not quite done just yet - but very close indeed :-)

> http://www.toomuchcookies.net/~arabeyes/putty6.exe
>
> + shaping works 100%. (well, actually 98%)

Yup, this is the best so far (see what happens when you can debug
your own work :-)

> + Advanced Flipping. i.e flipping that almost looks like BIDI...
>    i still think we should work on that function and improve it
>    instead of adding Bidi from another Lib... take a look at it and
>    Feedback would be much appreciated... it breaks
>    when there is more than 1 space or commas, a few things
>    that can be worked on easily...

I still think Bidi is a must - how about this, we can include a button
and let the user decide on whether he/she wants bidi or flipping
(they'd be mutually exclusive).

> + LAM-ALEF... its shaped BUT, LAM is turned to the LAM-ALEF
>    Glyph and ALEF is turned to space... i tried to delete the ALEF
>    and shift the rest of the line 1 position to the left, but that just
>    messes up the Cursor and doesnt look any better than the
>    extra space... i think i'll stick with the extra space...

This really needs to be solved one way or another in a correct manner
in which this extra space is absorbed.  Seems to me this would be one
of those questions for Simon (do please add this point for him in your
file when we get a chance to see him again on IRC).

> + 0x671 (strange Alef) whats that..? its not even on the keyboard,
>    where do u get it from..? all chars must be in Form-B so i changed
>    it to some Alef (during shaping), i dont remember which...

Its noted in the new Unicode spec,

  http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0600.pdf

The sample file you have has a variety of characters from all sorts
of sources.

> opinions, bugs, flaming, any kind of feedback would be great. :))

Excellent work - we are truly getting close now to the point where we
need to elevate our need for Simon's attention (whatcha think ?).  One
other area to look into (again PuTTY's author would be more privy) is
how to handle harakat since now they simply don't appear anywhere.

Ahmad, let me know if you have all your questions ready for me to make
a concerted effort to get Simon involved enough for us to completely
and fully finish this.

Keep the great effort going.