Re: Things to be done

Assalamu Alaikum,

Mohammed Yousif wrote:
- recitation breakpoint indicators (U+06D6 to U+06DB)

 I don't think they are really needed as (as you said) it's really clear
 that they are from (U+06D6 to U+06DB) so why not letting the machine
 detect them rather than telling it that the character 06D6 is from the group
 (U+06D6 to U+06DB) and thus is a stop sign (fen wednak ya goha :-)

What do you mean by this? Do you mean that the stop signs should be included in the source code of the application or included in the data files as UTF-8 characters (i.e. not using the <br> stuff)?

btw.: what does "fen wednak ya goha" mean?

I mean if it's an XSLT application, I would totally agree but it's not
and I don't mind postponing most of the functionality to the c/c++ code
instead of doing it in the XML file (especially if we are talking about
the Qur'an).

I think indications for where ALLAH is referred to in the Quran text belong into the file (especially because it differs in every source). Or make the user know that the translator made a comment to a translated piece of text.

Not sure if I can understand that, could you please clarify a bit more :-)

As far as I understood you wanted to include as much information to the app's source code instead of putting info into the data files. So I tried to give the reasons why I included these elements in the draft.

example 1 (allah element):
ar s001a002:
en s001a002:

example 2 (comment element (mainly for translations)):

en s001a005:

en s002a255:
<sura nr="2" ...>
<aya nr="255">
	<qurantext> ... </qurantext>
	<comment>This ayat is also called "Ayat-al-kursi". ...</comment>
</aya>
</sura>

en s113:
<sura nr="113" name="Al-Falaq" translation="Daybreak"> ... </sura>
<comment>This sura and the next one are also called the protective suras. ...</comment>

I've never talked about the number of verse per chapter.
I thought of including the sajda element, because as far as i can
remember there are sajdas in the Quran which are not at the not at the
end of the ayat. So you can mark the passage where the sajda should be
done and not only the whole ayat.

Hmm, I meant only the verse number, but yes again you are absolutely right
here.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood something and gave a harsh answer.

Anyway, if you can come up with a much simpler XML structure that doesn't
need a lot of ork, I would appreciate it.

I did, but the things I mentioned at the top of this mail are still included: http://www.includeme.ma.cx/kuran/drafts/quran_2_sp_draft.xml and if this is still too complex then look at this: http://www.includeme.ma.cx/kuran/drafts/quran_2_rsp_draft.xml

I think I like the first one but again I don't see any need for the <br> tag (The machine can do that, why let humans do it?)

If you think about putting them into the app's source I have to disagree with you, because there are different styles of Quran (e.g. Hafs, Warsh) with differences in haraka (if this is the word for fatha, kassra, dhamma, etc.) and stop signing. (If you want me to produce proof I can scan two different ones to show you.)
But If you were just thinking about using the UTF-8 equivalents instead everything is alright with me.

 Much Thanks for your work, I think I will implement this but I would like
 first to hear from Damt(Are you still there) and Maher (Hi guys I'm not
 working on this project alone, I simply can't. Come on, SHOW UP NOW :-)

Please everyone involved in the Quran project comment on this issue to solve problems an make the Quran project make another step forward.

Salam,
	Riyad Preukschas