Re: Things to be done

On Wednesday 25 February 2004 19:21, Riyad Preukschas wrote:
> Assalamu Alaikum,
>
> > That's fine if we have a lot (and I mean a LOT) of people willing to do
> > that, but it's simply a LOT of work.
> > I understand that it's a good idea to do this but do we really need it?
>
> At least some of it. I would appreciate it a lot if there would be any
> information about the author or the used source in that file.
> Or at least:
> - "version" and "lang" or "language" attributes
> - separate sura name transliterations and translations (i.e. separate
> "name" and "translation" attributes in a sura element).
> - rename the ayat numbering attribute from "id" to something like "nr"
> or "no", because it is confusing because the "id" attributes are meant
> to be unique per file.

 That's fair.

> - recitation breakpoint indicators (U+06D6 to U+06DB)

 I don't think they are really needed as (as you said) it's really clear
 that they are from (U+06D6 to U+06DB) so why not letting the machine
 detect them rather than telling it that the character 06D6 is from the group
 (U+06D6 to U+06DB) and thus is a stop sign (fen wednak ya goha :-)

> > I mean if it's an XSLT application, I would totally agree but it's not
> > and I don't mind postponing most of the functionality to the c/c++ code
> > instead of doing it in the XML file (especially if we are talking about
> > the Qur'an).
>
> I think indications for where ALLAH is referred to in the Quran text
> belong into the file (especially because it differs in every source). Or
> make the user know that the translator made a comment to a translated
> piece of text.

 Not sure if I can understand that, could you please clarify a bit more :-)

> But more useful for the user.
> I don't think these files were meant for "playing with them a bit".
> I think it's better for developers to have the possibility to provide as
> much information about the source as possible.

  That's right.

> I've never talked about the number of verse per chapter.
> I thought of including the sajda element, because as far as i can
> remember there are sajdas in the Quran which are not at the not at the
> end of the ayat. So you can mark the passage where the sajda should be
> done and not only the whole ayat.

 Hmm, I meant only the verse number, but yes again you are absolutely right
 here.

> > Anyway, if you can come up with a much simpler XML structure that doesn't
> > need a lot of ork, I would appreciate it.
>
> I did, but the things I mentioned at the top of this mail are still
> included:
> http://www.includeme.ma.cx/kuran/drafts/quran_2_sp_draft.xml
> and if this is still too complex then look at this:
> http://www.includeme.ma.cx/kuran/drafts/quran_2_rsp_draft.xml

 I think I like the first one but again I don't see any need for the <br> tag
 (The machine can do that, why let humans do it?)

 Much Thanks for your work, I think I will implement this but I would like
 first to hear from Damt(Are you still there) and Maher (Hi guys I'm not
 working on this project alone, I simply can't. Come on, SHOW UP NOW :-)