Re: Bidi-less Applications Patching Policy

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 08:29:11PM +0100, Muhammad Alkarouri wrote:
> Seems my largest contribution to Arabeyes is this runaway thread.

Yes, your fault, completely ;)

> > to improve, to refer to existing work...... If you have any issue with what
> > is done on translation, then propose solutions
>
> That was before somebody did a general comment that was even not QAC specific
> and got fired under the core WMD act.

If you are unhappy with the way _I_ handle certain issues, bring it up
directly instead of this way. I do recall that I mentioned that what I
said what opinion-based, just so people don't make this
misinterpretation. I am always open to constructive criticism, but this
way of doing things from your end is (here comes some constructive
criticism) not the best way to go about it. There are better ways (which
have been suggested in earlier posts).

For those of you not aware of the 'doc' thing, Karouri is referring to
this [1] post. I still stand by my post and opinions. Yes, adding
"religion" to the mix is not QAC's business, it's a much broader issue
and would have to be done through 'core' -- and to add, 'core' wouldn't
do it unless there are substantial numbers calling for it.

As for the bidi patching policy, it was a unaminous vote within core and
I was tasked to inform the list about it. I brought the issue up in the
meeting agenda and made the suggestions which were approved by core. I
did them because I feared that minibidi would end up becoming a
competitor to fribidi and I did not want that to happen. I wanted to
make sure that no matter how "great" minibidi becomes, our position is
that we are 100% behind fribidi unless it is absolutely necessary to use
something else.

I still stand by my proposal. I am _yet_ to hear a better alternative.
Fork putty? Yeah, sure.. let's fork that. Fork CUPS? Noway! What next?
How many will we fork? Better to have one library to deal with or a
plethora of applications to maintain? I don't take forking lightly.

> Add to the reason list, btw:
> - Lack of communication. Example: I am interested in supporting Arabic on the
> command line, but I wasn't able to catch what's happening on the other side of
> Arabeyes. While it seems that core do have the global picture, we don't. It
> didn't even help that I subscribed to core, and stealing a look at cvs is a
> post mortem act:)

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Core has the
global picture of what exactly and what do _you_ not have a picture of?
Anything core does or knows is for public display. The "other" side?

[1] http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/doc/2004/May/msg00290.html

Regards,
| Unix the 'right' way |  http://elzubeir.fakkir.net/ |