Re: Fixing the Arabic keyboard in xorg/xfree86

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Munzir Taha wrote:

> On Yau al-Thulatha 18 Jumaada al-Awal 1425 02:38 am, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> > It's not about the xorg context at all.  "parenleft" is defined
> > as "opening paranthesis" in the Unicode standard.  All Persian
> > keyboards (except for MacOS X) implement this.
>
> So, you confirm it's not a hack and it should be implemented like this.
> Thanks.

No, it's not a hack.  Yes, it should be implemented.

> The problem I want to address is the layout implemented is not the most public
> and I couldn't even find a single keybaord (neither on the net nor on saudi
> arabia) with regard to this layout.

You are supposed to implement the national standard keyboard
layout for countries that have one.  Keep that in mind, even if
the standard is not that popular.

> The main issues are:
> 1. applying the mirror property to parenleft/right, bracketleft/right,
> braceleft/right.

Also "less than" and "greater than".

> 4. Addingthe ZWJ, ZWNJ, RTM and LRM
>     key <AC07> { [ Arabic_teh, Arabic_tatweel, 0x100200d ] };
>     key <AC09> { [ Arabic_meem, slash, 0x100200e ] };
>     key <AD04> { [Arabic_qaf, Arabic_dammatan, 0x100200f ] };

At FarsiWeb for the Iranian national standard we decided to put
RLM and LRM on the alternate page accessible using AltGr (right
alt) as well as many other marks.

> 5. Removing invalid(?) key <LSGT> {  [     bar,    brokenbar      ]     };

This key better left untouched.

> 6. Other changes are also made due to the previous revamping. If any one is
> interested in pasting a complete patch I will do it.

--behdad
  behdad.org