Re: Fixing the Arabic keyboard in xorg/xfree86

On Yau al-Thulatha 18 Jumaada al-Awal 1425 02:38 am, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> It's not about the xorg context at all.  "parenleft" is defined
> as "opening paranthesis" in the Unicode standard.  All Persian
> keyboards (except for MacOS X) implement this.

So, you confirm it's not a hack and it should be implemented like this.
Thanks.

Now, after googling the net I found some refrences regarding a relation
between arabeyes, Isam Bayazidi and Muhammad Sammeer and the Arabic keymap in
xfree86 and hence xorg. There shoud be an email or a name on the file to
refer to like most other keymaps.

The problem I want to address is the layout implemented is not the most public
and I couldn't even find a single keybaord (neither on the net nor on saudi
arabia) with regard to this layout.

So, this is a call to those who were involved in the old implementation to
come and correct me if I am wrong. Afterall we have people here who are
living in different parts of the globe so let's figure out what's the most
common.

The main issues are:
1. applying the mirror property to parenleft/right, bracketleft/right,
braceleft/right.

2. Changing the positon of greater and less to be on jeem and dal:
   key <AD11> {  [     Arabic_jeem,         less         ]     };
   key <AD12> {  [      Arabic_dal,        greater       ]     };

3. Changing kasra and kasratan to be on sheen and seen:
    key <AC01> {  [    Arabic_sheen,       Arabic_kasra   ]     };
    key <AC02> {  [     Arabic_seen,     Arabic_kasratan  ]     };

4. Addingthe ZWJ, ZWNJ, RTM and LRM
    key <AC07> {  [ Arabic_teh, Arabic_tatweel, 0x100200d ]     };
    key <AC09> {  [   Arabic_meem,  slash,  0x100200e     ]     };
    key <AD04> {  [Arabic_qaf, Arabic_dammatan, 0x100200f ]     };

5. Removing invalid(?) key <LSGT> {  [     bar,    brokenbar      ]     };

6. Other changes are also made due to the previous revamping. If any one is
interested in pasting a complete patch I will do it.

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club member
Maintainer of the Open Arabic Bugs Project at
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugs
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS
New Horizons CLC
Riyadh, SA