Re: Developer Guide

Quoting Munzir Taha <munzirtaha at newhorizons dot com dot sa>:

> This should be optional. My 0.00 Sudanese Pounds (This number is not
> imaginary. FOOLSTOP) that a developer should know about expand and unexpand
> that can easily convert tabs to spaces and vice versa.

No, it isn't optional. The WHOLE POINT of having a unified coding style
is that we develop a platform on which all developers are comfortable
with. Using tabs easily allows this, do you expect me to switch tabs
to spaces after every patch I write? or use some new style some other
developer is using? We build professinalism and maturity in our code
base by forcing good and UNIFORM coding practices. Look at ITL, Akka
and Katoob. Look at the coding styles used across them...some are
terrible (heh, I'll leave it un-named for another thread) in terms
of style, some are short-sighted in terms of design and some are
just messy in terms of standardization.

It is 0.00 Sudanese pounds I guess :)

What I would really like to see is FORCING documentatin within the
code itself. Most of our projects, like ITL, Katoob, etc...are barely
commented internally. We should have comments for every function,
every complex algorithm, and so on. As said, maybe something like the
style(9) page is in order...(that is, same style).

I think this discussion should simply not happen, it is a no-op.
The only issue is what coding style should we adopt as a standard?
I personally prefer BSD style since it is quite readable, forces
good coding practices and documentation, etc...

--
| Samy Al Bahra | samy at kerneled dot com |