fribidi & arabic shaping

On 03/15/2002 08:27:23,
 Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> The annual national holidays will start next week in Iran, and I
> have enough time to work on fribidi more.
>
> I have commited the L3 Rule, so the Unicode BiDi Alg. is complete
> now.
>
> So this is my current plan in the order I will do them:
>
> * Fix the packtab.c to generate fewer symbols (suggested by Owen Taylor).
> * Add the arabic joining code.

Behdad, I'm assuming by "joining" you mean shaping ?  If so, could you
please include a flag to whether you want that enabled or not as part of
the interface (for backward compatibility & in the cases the application
is doing its own) ?

ie. something along the lines of,

 void
 fribidi_log2vis(/* input */
                 FriBidiChar     *str,
                 int              len,
                 FriBidiCharType *pbase_dir,
                 int              enable_shaping_options,     <--- NEW
                 /* output */
                 FriBidiChar *visual_str,
                 gint        *position_L_to_V_list,
                 gint        *position_V_to_L_list,
                 gint8       *embedding_level_list
                )

If there are issues with the shaping implementation, I have no problem
helping/implementing simply as an incentive and indication of its
importance to the Arabic community at large.

Help is here if you need it, if you will :-)

> * Release 0.10.2
> * Apply the FribidiEnv patch.
> * Design the new interface, supporting line breaking.
> * Release 0.11.0 or even 1.0.0!

Regards,