Re: Arabic & emacs

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 16:40:04 +0900 (JST)
 "TAKAHASHI Naoto" <ntakahas m17n org> wrote:

> > > The official procedure to release software to the public has just been
> > > established.  Whether requested permission is accepted or not is
> > > another story.  I have finished filling the application forms two days
> > > ago.  All I can do now is wait the result. :-)
> >
> > Has a decision been handed ?  We've had our fingers crossed; there has
> > been _such_ a favorable response to your comments, that we're on pins
> > and needles hoping for the best...
>
> Our superiors have already agreed to release the software and signed
> on the paper.  Now it is in the hands of bureaucrats.  I think (hope)
> it will be released within a month.
>
> I am very sorry for the bureaucracy, but now we are close to the
> goal.  Thank you very much for your patience.

No problem, do please inform us (an email to 'developer' - noted above)
when the release does take place with the appropriate URL info, etc.

It will be worth the wait, I'm sure, to finally see UTF-8 Arabic and
emacs playing together :-)

If any testing, on a private basis, is needed don't hesitate to let any
of us know.  I'm not sure if you've started looking into the inclusion of
Bidi into emacs (I remember it wasn't deemed high priority enough awhile
back, for some reason); hope GNU-emacs developers (and xemacs) have gotten
cozy with and acknowledge Bidi as a legit requirement.

Lastly, in case the bureaucrats disallow "limited testing", you can
always compare emacs' shaping code against the recent vim work (patch
available on www.arabeyes.org) to verify the required "visual" results
(as well as cut-n-paste issues) in an attempt to better utilize this
required semi-"month" of waiting :-)

Regards,