Arabeyes would like to announce the start of yet another internal
project named 'edara'.  This project's main focus is to cater to
the internal needs of all projects out there (small and large alike)
from an administrative point of view (thus the name :-)

With the recent explosive growth of Arabeyes, we've been under great
pressure to complete and furnish certain things to various parties out
there, and we'd like to keep track of all the necessary data to make
Arabeyes a better working machine for its volunteers.

We've looked at the various open/semi-open project/task managers
currently out there,

  www.epiware.com
  www.phpgroupware.org
  dcl.sourceforge.net
  etc..etc..etc..etc

They are all either lacking or are system heavy for our needs (some
are beautifully designed and modular - all things we'll talk about
later :-)

What we envision is the following:

 + An admin section (for login/password/etc)
 + A task/todo section in which various people can assign others
   tasks to do (and have the recipient approve/reject those tasks, etc)
 + A users/volunteers db -- we've had a number of people tell us that
   they would like to help and so we want to create a database to
   house all that useful info (name, email, skills, interest, etc)
 + A calendar (similar to webcalendar.sourceforge.net) in which people
   can note a calendar event or a reminder for themselves of others,
   setup meetings, etc.

We'd like this project to be in perl or php and mysql.  The mysql
database tables have already been ironed out and are ready to go.
We also have an idea of how we'd like to see the layout of the pages
(nothing is fully set yet, so its YOUR chance to jump-in and decide
things if you opt to volunteer).

So why are we saying all this ?  Well, we'd like to get have 1-2
volunteers to take on this project and complete it, both to get used
to helping others :-) and to raise their confidence.

edara will also be released to the world under GPL - so, yup you'll
be famous on www.freshmeat.net :-) and this project will have its
own page on arabeyes.org

There are lots of other details that will be discussed upon finding
the committed parties to undertake this work.  We envision this taking
about 1-2 months for a newbie volunteer single-handedly.

Any takers ?