Re: Next internal project - edara

Salam,
I do not know why I always choose to answer emails while I am full of sleep,
and dozing.

I have seen arabeyes in sourceforge, sourceforge does provide the tasks you
are asking for, I have not use it now for long, but it does allow for the
below tasks, unless u want to arabeyes sourceforge :)

<back 2 sleep/>

 --- Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com> wrote: > Arabeyes would like to
announce the start of yet another internal
> project named 'edara'.  This project's main focus is to cater to
> the internal needs of all projects out there (small and large alike)
> from an administrative point of view (thus the name :-)
>
> With the recent explosive growth of Arabeyes, we've been under great
> pressure to complete and furnish certain things to various parties out
> there, and we'd like to keep track of all the necessary data to make
> Arabeyes a better working machine for its volunteers.
>
> We've looked at the various open/semi-open project/task managers
> currently out there,
>
>   www.epiware.com
>   www.phpgroupware.org
>   dcl.sourceforge.net
>   etc..etc..etc..etc
>
> They are all either lacking or are system heavy for our needs (some
> are beautifully designed and modular - all things we'll talk about
> later :-)
>
> What we envision is the following:
>
>  + An admin section (for login/password/etc)
>  + A task/todo section in which various people can assign others
>    tasks to do (and have the recipient approve/reject those tasks, etc)
>  + A users/volunteers db -- we've had a number of people tell us that
>    they would like to help and so we want to create a database to
>    house all that useful info (name, email, skills, interest, etc)
>  + A calendar (similar to webcalendar.sourceforge.net) in which people
>    can note a calendar event or a reminder for themselves of others,
>    setup meetings, etc.
>
> We'd like this project to be in perl or php and mysql.  The mysql
> database tables have already been ironed out and are ready to go.
> We also have an idea of how we'd like to see the layout of the pages
> (nothing is fully set yet, so its YOUR chance to jump-in and decide
> things if you opt to volunteer).
>
> So why are we saying all this ?  Well, we'd like to get have 1-2
> volunteers to take on this project and complete it, both to get used
> to helping others :-) and to raise their confidence.
>
> edara will also be released to the world under GPL - so, yup you'll
> be famous on www.freshmeat.net :-) and this project will have its
> own page on arabeyes.org
>
> There are lots of other details that will be discussed upon finding
> the committed parties to undertake this work.  We envision this taking
> about 1-2 months for a newbie volunteer single-handedly.
>
> Any takers ?
>
>  - Nadim

=====

walid at melinux dot com
http://www.MeLinux.com

"Learn whatever knowledge you wish to acquire, and act upon what you have learned."