Re: Arabic fonts & XFree86

Nadim Shaikli wrote on 2002-01-03 01:31 UTC:
> At arabeyes.org we've been working hard on adding Arabic support
> to various "common" applications and we've had some difficulty
> finding font files that include all the necessary Arabic fonts/glyphs.
> Unfortunately, none of the ISO-10646-1 fonts that ship with XFree86
> contain unicode's Form-B fonts,
>
>   http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/UFE70.pdf
>
> We'd like to suggest and impress upon you the importance of this
> addition to all 10646 font files (such as '10x20') now and in the
> future.  Without Form-B a great deal of our current and future
> work would be termed "non-standard" and we very much would like
> to avoid that.  It would be ideal to have XFree86 and Arabic function
> without a hitch ("out-of-the-box") and without downloading various
> 'hacked-up' font files.

You are very welcome to contribute the necessary glyphs to 10x20 or find
someone who has the time to draw these. I personally am not familiar
enough with the Arabic script to do this. All you need is to install the
xmbdfed software. You will find further information on how to contribute
glyphs in

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/download/ucs-fonts.tar.gz

Roozbeh? Would you perhaps have the time to have a go at the Form-B part
in the foreseeable future?

Markus