Re: Moving in an orderly fashion

--- Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir arabeyes.org> wrote:
> I have just realized that we already went live with the new website. Why?
> What is the urgency? Why can't this wait until we are moved and settled? Is
> there something I am not aware of that requires such a rush?

There is no reason to keep waiting - nothing is changing and the move won't
affect anything anyways.  We should not stop progress :-)

> Also, I have also learned that the the entire /home/arabeyes directory was
> chown'ed to arabeyes user.

I guess I'll take the blame for that one even though I did _not_ ask for that.
Youcef and I were talking about modifying one of the scripts and noticed that
a directory (www/misc) was owned by root and we had no write privilege into
it, so we both yelled "Infared" -- after many hours when he showed up, I noted
"it would be nice if those few 'root' files were owned by user 'arabeyes'" and
he without confirming simply chown'ed the entire tree.  Unfortunately its not
what I had in mind and not what I envisioned he'd do - in all, if its my fault
I apologize.

> Please, let us keep from making new changes and modification until the
> impending move is over. We certainly don't need surprises right now. We
> should work with what we know until we are settled elsewhere.. then we can
> go about making modifications.

I was thinking of moving us form CVS to subversion today just in time for the
move.

Just kidding :-)  I did look at new websearch software and am very impressed
with swish-e (www.swish-e.org); at some point we should look into it as a
replacement to what we have (key here is to be able to search the mailing-lists
and the website or each separately, etc -- it seems more configurable, more
powerful and its being actively developed).  We could simply test it out along
side what we have now in the future.

Salam.

 - Nadim "the culprit" Shaikli :-)