Re: New website comments

--- Youcef Rabah Rahal <yrrahal4 2hotmail.com> wrote:
> Most of the listed items seem easy to do. I'll comment what i did'nt
> understand or what is difficult:
>
> >From: Nadim Shaikli
> >  5. all pages should really be modifyable - ie. should access HTML table
> >     contents
>
> What you are describing is a Wiki interface ? We should then put all our
> content in a DB. It's far from easy to implement. However, you can do HTML
> now, in resources, press etc... But of course the global format of the page
> can't change for now.

Not really - I'm simply saying that what's within the tables is stored as
HTML in mysql, as such its conceivably easy to get access to it to modify
it (again, look at some individual project page and see how its entirely
modifiable - we should continue along those same lines in all areas).

> >  6. make right menu as wide as the widest text (make it about 1/2 size its
> >     currently at)
>
> Tried many things and couldn' get it to work... The Login Menu takes a lot
> of place, we'll see after the moving of the 'Forgot Password' button.

There must be a way to specify it - you can run php on all the strings within
the menus and get a width (string_width) indicator and simply force all the
menus to be that width.  I've done that before and its worked (on QaMoose I
believe).

> >  7. Make the TODOs list not vertically but in TAB format (more viewable,
> >     less clutter)
>
> I'm not sure I understand this ?

Yeah, this is akin to the visual look I had for eDara.  What would be nice
to see is something similar to Mozilla's Tabbed pages, ie. one would see

   +------------+-------+---------+--------+----------
   |  General   |  vim  |  Duali  |  Akka  |  etc etc...
   +------------+-------+---------+--------+----------

by pressing on whatever is listed (say Akka above), you will see akka's
contents and so on - its simply a different way of listing things. Let me
give you some more web examples so that it becomes clear (again, just see
how it looks),

  http://www-900.ibm.com/developerWorks/cn/java/j-merlin/index5_eng.shtml
  http://www.multi.com/Coding/TabTest/tabtest.php
    (code in --> http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/19447.html
     don't use javascript though, no need for the fancy highlighting :-)
  http://www.epiware.com/demo/demo_4.php
    (I'm very impressed with how epiware looks and had that in mind for
     edara (you asked one time) -- note their tabs up-top).

Hope that makes more sense now.

> >11. in some instances the sourceforge icon doens't show-up
>
> This is because it is linked with sf.net website... Maybe we should put the
> logo on our server...

Yeah, that would make more sense, no ?

> >15. Force elzubeir to upload a new picture :-)
>
> This is very difficult ;)

Its hopeless - I'll see if I can get my name on the 'Mars Explorer" mission,
that would be easier :-)

> >16. The various [EN], [AR], [FR] look odd and not aligned or anything
> >    (messy). I suggest a standard means to say [EN | AR | FR] and have
> >    it be fixed width and only include the ones availbale (or include
> >    country flags or something
>
> I actually include only the ones available !

Yeah, I'm not sure how best to do it, see if others have ideas and comments.