Re: New webpages

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 02:00:14AM -0700, Nadim Shaikli wrote:

> Sounds good - ok, we need a proper name for this project.  How about
> "Kalimat" or "Qol" or "Tarjom" or ??

Wordlist seems fine.

> I'm not a fan of the new patches pages - I think all those should be a single
> page as they also denote more active engagement on all of them.  I like the
> way it used to be better (IMHO).

Opinions, there is never a shortage there ;) I find it more important to
be able to isolate and track progress of a given project (regardless of
how big/small it is) than to 'look' active.

> Youcef, we all know that those maintainers/coordinators won't do it and it
> will fall on our laps.  We need less management and more coding and

No, we don't know that. Project maintainers are responsible for their
project pages. If this is not happening, then this is another issue
(last I checked, project maintainers are in fact updating their pages).

> development.
> 99% of our time is now dealing with arabeyes management issues and emails and
> I for one would like to reduce that burden, not increase it.

Not sure how this relates.

> Again, I'm of the opinion that we need to have a small set of pages with
> focus being the primary operative word here.  For projects like the various
> patches (or subset there-of -- take 'txtbdf2ps.pl' - its very unlikely that
> I will ever work on it and so there is NO need for its own page - its
> overkill).

The page costs us nothing. We may want to consider a way of avoiding
listing all the projects on the right-hand menus of our pages though.

> For projects like VIM that took extensive work and time - sure we can and
> should have a page for it stand alone.  Again on a per project basis we can
> make that decision, but all the smaller projects seem like they should be
> lumped into one page to ease the admin work on our part.  For translations
> it also has the added benefit of _not_ confusing people into thinking that
> they have options on what to work on as usually those smaller projects are
> all accounted for and are primarily done (those that are larger and require
> more time and effort should be on their own page - akin to VIM).

They do have options. Also, you must remember that those 'small'
translation projects do have newer versions with strings changing, etc.
We are not always going to have that same person who was once
enthusaiastic, continue to update it.

> OK, we need a name for this project as well -- how about 'khatat' or
> 'khotoot' or ????

Arabic Fonts sounds fine too. No need to get fancy on those project
names. We simply want to get the idea across. I renamed "Arabic_Fonts"
to "Arabic Fonts". %20 (for whitespace) works fine. The underscore looks
very unnatural in the project list.

> > PS: I unhided the eDara project and added its logo. I guess if the status is

Last I remember, it was declared dead by a 'core' vote. I would rather
not see it initiated again without a 'core' vote either.

> That logo is a bit too big - I remember seeing one with just the art and the
> name (seems more appropriate).  But this project should really be hidden
> until such time as we have some free bandwidth to open it up again (or have
> one of us interested in working on it to actually work on it).

<nod>

later
Mohammed Elzubeir