Fwd: Re: Discussing Hayder's Proposal here

sent to me only by mistake

Subject: Re: Discussing Hayder's Proposal here
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 10:48:33 -0600
From: Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir at fakkir dot net>
To: Isam Bayazidi <bayazidi at accessme dot com>

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 06:06:17PM +0200, Isam Bayazidi wrote:
> Well those that I found interesting :
> * Arabic text rendering and hijry date library depends only on
>     standard C++ libraries.

I really don't know who other than Saudi's use hijry.. I know I don't. Never
did in Bahrain. Don't intend to. Don't think it's even close to a priority.

> * Notepad.

??? There must be 123098213238 text editors out there. Let's not keep
rewriting editors.

> * Translating messages in /usr/share/locale/ar: this needs translating
>    many messages such as these in glibc-common.
> * Arabizing OpenOffice "StarOffice": http://www.openoffice.org
> * Arabic Xterm.
> * EMACS Arabic support.
>
> As for other programs, I guess that they would get better audience in
> Sourceforge, while the Arabic Related projects are better placed in
> Arabeyes ..
>
> Anther issue .. is that when hosting the Hayder projects in Arabeyes that
> may need an upgrade for the Arabeyes hardware and maybe connection .. what
> do you think Moe ? would that be necessary ?

It is not 'necessary'.. but w/ enough donations we just might ;)

> > As far as I understand, anything he will put on our CVS will be GPL'ed
> > _or_ HPL (Haydar Public License). As per my last conversation w/ him, the
> > only difference between the two is a clause (or a few) that say something
> > to the effect of no exports to .il, etc. Which, I have no issues w/
> > whatsoever.
>
> Again, Before going on, I guess that we should ask him to provide us with
> his HPL .. and I do not agree on such a license, and to involve Arabeyes in
> it would not be smart .. as far as I can recall Arabeyes stayed politics
> free, and it should .. I would personally use HPL software, but I would not
> host it, and sponsor it, and offer it in Arabeyes .. Lets stay away from
> such licenses that give a political stand ..

Hrmm. To be honset w/ you, this is a sensitive issue. While we would rather
stay away from politics and all the other crap that comes along with it.
Perhaps we can say, if we are contributing CODE to one of those projects,
 then it cannot be under such a license. However, if there is code that we
 are NOT contributing to, and simply mirroring, etc. then it is okay. At
 least, that's how I thought of it.

I don't want to discourage such actions, while I understand that we want to
stay away from such controversy. I don't know.

Yours,
Isam Bayazidi
Amman - Jordan
 Think Linux + Think Arabic = Think www.arabeyes.org