Re: to plone or not to plone

On Sat, 2005-01-01 at 19:45 -0800, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> --- Abdulaziz Al-Arfaj <aalarfaj at gmail dot com> wrote:
> > I can see a definite trend here. Your trying to plonify/pythonify our
> > entire operation. Not sure why you would want to do that, its more
> > work for you and less for us ;-)

I think the word here is Zope-ify ;) Since the Wiki solution I'm looking
into is a Zope solution and not necessarily a Plone one (though it does
integrate very well with Plone). To help demystify this whole Zope/Plone
relationship -- Zope is the web application server, CMF is the content
management framework, Plone (like many other CMS solutions) use Zope's
CMF. It just so happens that Plone is the most popular and has the most
active development.

> I think it's high time we talked about this plone option before further
> effort and time is spent (having a ready solution is still no excuse
> for a solid decision).
>
> What are people's opinions about us moving Arabeyes' website (completely)
> from the current home-brewed PHP code to the plone/python CMS [1].  What
> worries me is upkeep.  Granted we haven't gotten _alot_ of help when we
> asked for it regarding the website, but we did get patches that proved to
> be useful.  What needs to be noted is how many people would venture to
> submit patches/code for plone/python vs. how many would/could for PHP.
> What also needs to be considered is that we'd pretty much be under the
> mercy of the plone community to ask for changes, additions and extra
> specialized modules.  These points might all sound petty, but again the
> concern here is long-term -- if the 1-2 people that are very familiar
> with plone and know python well enough were to disappear or move on
> aren't we compromising future changes if that happens ?

All I can say is, the number of ready-made solutions for Plone far
outweigh any amount of 'patches' or help we have gotten or we will get
for our php site.

> If plone is deemed sub-optimal, should other CMS options be considered ?

And since you are bringing all this to the table, let me put out my
plan. I would like to move out PHP site to Plone. Wiki to Zwiki. CVS to
SVN. Authentication for all would go through LDAP. Zope/Plone offer LDAP
integration, of course.

Regards
| Unix the 'right' way |  http://elzubeir.openius.com/|