Re: to plone or not to plone

--- Abdulaziz Al-Arfaj <aalarfaj at gmail dot com> wrote:
> I can see a definite trend here. Your trying to plonify/pythonify our
> entire operation. Not sure why you would want to do that, its more
> work for you and less for us ;-)

I think it's high time we talked about this plone option before further
effort and time is spent (having a ready solution is still no excuse
for a solid decision).

What are people's opinions about us moving Arabeyes' website (completely)
from the current home-brewed PHP code to the plone/python CMS [1].  What
worries me is upkeep.  Granted we haven't gotten _alot_ of help when we
asked for it regarding the website, but we did get patches that proved to
be useful.  What needs to be noted is how many people would venture to
submit patches/code for plone/python vs. how many would/could for PHP.
What also needs to be considered is that we'd pretty much be under the
mercy of the plone community to ask for changes, additions and extra
specialized modules.  These points might all sound petty, but again the
concern here is long-term -- if the 1-2 people that are very familiar
with plone and know python well enough were to disappear or move on
aren't we compromising future changes if that happens ?

If plone is deemed sub-optimal, should other CMS options be considered ?

Thoughts/comments/opinions ?

[1] http://www.plone.org