Re: Project Updates

--- Arafat Mohamed <biku at comcast dot net> wrote:
> <snip>
> Anmar Oueja wrote:
> > I like the second one. darl and clear.
> >
> > Here are Some suggestions:
> >
> > - date would be nice on the right and NOT bold
> > - Should be a hard limit as to the size of the update (if somebody put a
> > massive amount of text, it will break things
> </snip>
>
> This is actually bothering me. The old way was to show all project
> updates for the current month. 2 things with this:
>
> 1) On the first few days of the month, conceivably no updates will show
> up. Also updates occuring on the last day of the month would only be
> posted on that one day, not giving it the exposure it merits.

We could have a rotating 30 days - the left menu is noted titled "Updates"
for a reason (versus the "Month-Name Updates :-)  but this is extra work
and its not critical (add it to your list of things to do later on).

> 2)If we have 100 updates for the month, we show 100 updates for the
> month. Once again having a really long project updates section.

For now leave it as is - since I'm sure there are more urgent things, but
one idea would be to limit the number of entries a project has on the
left column to say 2 entires and then simply include "PROJECT-NAME has
more updates that have been cropped" or similar with a link to the project.

> So my idea was to show the last 5 updates. Should we limit the size of
> the text in the database? Or should I just cut the text on the front end
> and have a 'more' link?

More link would be easier I think.

> Personally, I like a combination. Limit the description to 100 chars.
> Have a 'more' link where you can be verbose.

The limiting would have to happen upon entry of the project update then.
Not sure its worth the headache now though - upto you.